Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Loss of Armon Gilliam--A Great Rebel




By Ron Futrell follow: @RonFutrell

This came as a major shock to those who knew him.

One of the strongest players the Rebel basketball program has ever known collapses on the court of an apparent heart attack and dies while playing a pick-up game in his hometown near Pittsburgh, PA.

Armon Gilliam (or Armen after he began play in the NBA) was the kindest, nicest Rebel basketball player I ever knew. It's as simple as that. His play on the court was the exact opposite. While never a dirty player, but he was a fighter under the basket and it earned him the nickname "The Hammer."

Well deserved, but he was anything but "The Hammer" in his personal life.

While covering the Rebels in the late 80's we were in a hotel lobby in Salt Lake City. I heard an unusually beautiful melody coming from a piano across the room. I walked over and was surprised to see Armon there playing away like he owned the room. Quickly I asked our cameraman to grab his gear and shoot this amazing video. I had a feature story here that nobody else would have. The Hammer, hammering out a tune for the small crowd in the lobby.

Armon sheepishly stopped playing and then asked me kindly if I would not shoot any video of him playing the piano. I was a bit surprised by his reaction, but he wanted to keep his piano playing personal. I understood. I lost a feature story, but saw a side of the big man that made me respect him even more.

One day before practice I saw Armon drive up in an old station wagon, I believe a Buick. This was another shocker for me. In a time when Rebel basketball players were known for driving some pretty nice cars---Armon had his old station wagon that he may have driven himself from Pennsylvania to Las Vegas. It looked like he had---a few times. It made a statement about the man who led the Rebels to 3 NCAA appearances in his three seasons at UNLV and a Final Four in 1987. He was at UNLV to work, get the job done and wasn't much for the flash that the program relished---still he was a perfect fit.

On the court, nobody worked harder. Tim Grgurich was always there, tirelessly in his efforts to turn Armon from a state champion wrestler to the ultimate college power forward. Armon had the best teacher and as a student, he learned quickly.

That Final Four in New Orleans was a special treat. I recall talking Armon and Gary Graham, two northeast guys, to head with me for a live shot in front of the New Orleans Superdome. We had set up a special crawfish boil there and they were willing to enjoy it with us. They were not prepared for how spicy it was, but Armon was always the trooper and made it through the interview while his mouth was burning from the corn. He was always gracious and forever the gentleman.

Armon was the second player chosen in the 1988 draft by the Phoenix Suns and he spent 13 solid years in the NBA.

Armon Gilliam---47 years old and left an impact forever on those who knew him.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home